Winter Maintenance Checklist for Your Backyard
If you’re still working on your New Year’s Resolutions don’t forget to include one of the most important resolutions - spend more time outside. Now that the holidays are over it’s a great time to get some much needed sunshine and excercise in your backyard.
PENDING BACKYARD CHECKLIST FOR JANUARY:
- Start a backyard garden journal. Not only is it fun, but it will provide a valuable reference for next year's landscape plan.
- Now is the best time to plant Winter blooming shrubs. There are tons of varieties that will provide beautiful color in your yard even during the Winter.
- Make sure you have all the right tools from trowels to wheelbarrows to lawn mowers.
- Research and plan your Spring landscape planting now. Consider the location, soil requirements and maintenance needs when deciding on your new backyard maintenance additions.
- Sow seeds. Now is a great time to sow seeds of larkspur, dill, and poppy for spring flowers. Do not mulch, but sprinkle seeds over a prepared bed and water in.
- Plant your favorite roses now. The earlier you plant the stronger their growth will be in the Spring
- By the end of the month you can start planting seeds of collards, turnips, leeks, radishes, carrots, kale, and spinach.
- Set up a bird feeder if you havn't already - keep it well stocked and clean. By Spring you’ll have a parade of migratory birds passing through your backyard.
- Cut back dead perennials. Rake up remaining leaves and mulch empty beds for a neat and ‘tended to’ look.